Friday, April 21, 2006

Singing

I do have a good enough voice to be singing in public. But it does not really matter. I do not actually need to have a good singing voice. Yesterday I remembered hearing that singing is good for calming and cadence when riding a horse. I remembered this while astride Rusty on our first trail ride of the spring season. We were headed home after leaving off our riding buddies a few miles away. Headed home "alone" -- just Rusty and me -- and Rusty was neither calm nor proceeding with a regular cadence.

Not before I started singing, that is.

I've been working on the railroad, all my live long days...

Huh? Where did that come from?

Someone's in the kitchen with Di-nah.
Someone's in the kitchen, I know-o-o-o...


OK, I'm starting to understand... these are songs I can easily sing in tempo with Rusty's walking stride. Slow down the singing a little? OK, he slows his walk a little. I am NOT going to test this too much -- don't want to lose the good thing we got going.

Then "Jingle Bells" comes bouncing out of my mouth. Lively song! Lively Rusty! Oh, no, change the tune, quick!

How about a lullaby? Let me think...

Lullaby, and good night, la lala la la la laaaa

That was effective.

Back to Dinah in the kitchen. I like the Fee fi fiddle-y yi o parts.

I am truly amazed how singing affected our ride. Past the snapping white wire tape near the strawberry fields... Rusty was yawning and sighing. Past the kids playing ball and the bright yellow mailbox that has ALWAYS been cause to stop and gape. Ho-hum. OK, I exaggerate about that obstacle, but he walked without any freeze moments, just lost track of our musical harmony for a few strides.

So, I may never perform again at a New Year's Eve festival. I may never again join a group of women singing acapella African chants and four part gospel harmonies. I may never again write a musical score adapting The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for a summer camp performance. But I have a musical future. One that will make a difference where it really counts. It will make a difference to my horses.

Just Say Yes! -- to singing to your horses.

1 comment:

Zinnia said...

Yay! I love singing with horses. I used to sing Happy Trails with Brownie and she would really get into it, grunting along in time with the music, "bumpa dee dabump a deeda bump, happy TRAILS to you, until we meet again..." This helped me not to freak out that she was going to run off with me for the hundredth time...