Thursday, February 08, 2007

Roots

I like to use my birthday as a time to deepen roots on purpose.

What I mean is, I try to do things on my birthday that may serve to set the tone for the coming year.

Some years, it's been important for me to take time to myself, quiet time, meditative time, to invite that stillness to infuse my coming year.

This year, my birthday is marked by affection; dance; hard work that benefits both RNB and me; writing; appreciating life, marriage, changes; connecting with and acknowledging my parents' influences; and of course, horses.

My mother has been in my thoughts a lot lately. And through awareness of her, I've reconnected with some of her best features: her zany sense of humor, her love of puzzles and letting people learn through puzzles (in the biggest sense of the word), her holiday rituals, enjoyment of cooking for others, images of her face lighting up with gleeful amusement.

These are things about her I am pleased to keep alive.

I've been keenly aware of her qualities that had inhibited her life and mine, so it's refreshing to be awash the good stuff of her.

Thanks, Mom, for all you gave us.

No comments: