Monday, February 26, 2007

Newsflash! Turkey Eats!

This is the best thing I could imagine for this fellow. I caught him out of the corner of my eye -- eating! Whopee!

I was puttering in the barn, a sunny winter day, and decided to see what would happen if I shooed him out of his isolation stall. He was reluctant to move much but we got as far as the barn door, which I left open in case he felt like wandering out into the warmth that collects on that side of the barn. A little while later I returned and he'd gone back into the stall, and there I saw him lowering his head and peck at some pellets. Honestly, I wondered if he'd forgotten how to eat on his own, as well as wondered if the mere sight of me put him into such a turkey-breath-holding anxiety that I might never actually witness his eating.

But it's eat or die around here. I can force feed him for a few more days if I have to but then our time is up and either he makes it on his own, or not. Today gave me renewed hope!

No comments: