Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A computer generated break

Because my usual computer is getting serviced, I am relying on my older computer to communicate in cyberspace. However there are many sites I am apt to visit that I cannot. My older computer's browser is not compatible with many of today's fancy-dancy websites. I had trouble with the expectedly simple signing in and arriving here where I could compose on my blog.

But here I am! -- with fingers crossed that what I write will end up published on my blog!

I prefer to take a break from computers because I choose to, like if I were traveling someplace where computer access is limited. Hard to imagine these days but so far, I do not have web access on a fancy satellite serviced phone. So if I were to go sailing, for example (and I'll take a moment to imagine the joys of being on a sailboat in a hot climate...) I would not check email, write on my blog, or check in with friends on Facebook.

This break is a result of a mechanical device needing service. Plain and simple. I wish I could report that I have maintained softness through this blip in my routine. I can report that I have re-found it. What a relief!

The horses are fuzzy and peaceful. I like getting bundled up and hanging out with them in the night. Unless the wind is blowing. It's peaceful in the winter. I suppose without various sounds from insects, or rustling of leaves, it is more quiet than in the summer. More still.

My focus for the past few months has been on increasing my time spent in paid employment. I am grateful for office projects at the therapeutic riding center where I teach. And I look in the paper and send out my resume, and look online and send out my resume, and sit down and think of places where I might work and send out my resume. I've never worked so hard nor spent so many weeks prior to being employed. Many new experiences for me as I transform from a happily partially employed quasi semi retired person to a person seeking full time or the equivalent of full time employment.

I hear David Bowie in my head singing, "Ch-ch-ch-changes!"

So, this break, due to computer malfunction, has been a break from time spent at the computer. I have been busy priming and painting walls at our new home. And moving hay from where we have it stored to where we keep the horses. And breaking ice in the water trough where the spring water flows slowly. And sending out my resume. I suppose I could be preparing last year's numbers for tax purposes... or going to bed at a reasonable hour. Hmmm, I like that idea....

I just noticed that I don't have the Preview Option on this computer's read of the blog site. That has been my favorite place for proof reading.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad you're back, if even temporarily :-)

I'm in the same pickle, job-hunting wise. I've been looking for over a year now. I have a small part-time job, 8 hours a week, but after my husbands unplanned unemployment in September, I've been looking to supplement what I have, or replace it with more.

I have never had a problem finding employment in the past. I always was hired for any job I applied for. Not so much now. Somtimes I don't get even courtesy calls, other times I'm told that there are 50 other applicants they are interviewing. Having children limits my options, also.

Things, they sure are a-changin'!

Victoria Cummings said...

I think so many of us are in the same boat right now. And I too have been having computer problems. Mine is just wearing out from all this blogging! The barn at night is one of my favorite places. As hard as it is to bundle up to go out into the cold after dinner, once I'm there, it is so quiet and beautiful and the horses are so glad to see me. Stay warm and keep dreaming about sailing in balmy breezes.