Monday, August 28, 2006

Herd doesn't allow poor behavior


From my notes from the June 2006 clinic time with Harry Whitney:

The herd doesn't allow poor behavior, so we can think the way the herd would, and let a horse know he has got to feel better before he can get close.

Example: my horse is feeing bad about something and I draw him close for some patting thinking that might help him feel better. Instead of seeking to help him feel better out at the end of the lead line before bringing him close.

Example: I'm feeding hay to 5 horses loose in the paddock. One approaches me with ears back wanting some hay, now, first... instead of giving it to him, I can do something to send him away so he's not coming close with that bad feeling (evidenced in ears pinned) -- it might even be ears pinned at another horse, not at me, and I can do the same.

Example: in round pen horse is moving but worried and when I stop asking for forward, the horse hurries into the center to be close to me. But never got feeling OK before coming in. So I might ask him to take his thought out there again and help him feel OK out there before letting him come in.

No comments: