Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Riza is teaching me

I enjoy working with Riza. She has a quiet temperament, questions things without getting in a huff first, and lets me know when I am asking her to do something without my being personally involved and connected with her in the doing-it-together way.

If I think about sending her off in a circle aka lunging her, she pins her ears and tells me things are not right in the universe.

All I have to do is bring myself into connection with her again, thinking let's do this together, ok, here we go, and her ears pop forward, her eye relaxes, and off we go exploring my next request.

Awesome little gal. One day soon I will report that I am riding her. A little more understanding about the steering via ground driving aka long lining and we'll be ready to take on the next step of this adventure.

2 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

I love that, when we can learn from the ones we trying to teach!

Victoria Cummings said...

It's so good that you've come back to blogging! Facebook is fun, but I've missed your thoughts and wisdom. I think that the best teachers are the ones that know they can learn from their students and never stop wanting to learn more. That's what is so wonderful about horses. You can always learn something from them if you are open to it.