Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More practice being practical

Today I asked our Haflinger, Soli, to help out with some chores. We have had him pull a cart, even a sleigh, based on the information from his former owner that before being ridden by her for 6-7 years, he was a driving pony with years of showing under his belt.

Our tractor is in the shop, and for the most part it lives and works at our new place anyway. But here where we still live, it was time to drag the arena.

Soli and I had a job to do today! And we did it. Quite nicely, too. No gas cost, no tractor noise or emissions. Good exercise for both horse and human, and my personal effort to Live Green in the Green Mountain state.




(It looks like I'm walking right where the drag is, but I'm well off to the side of it, very cautious about safety around horses and equipment.)

2 comments:

llm said...

I love what you are doing! The ride to recycle and using Soli instead of the tractor. Years ago this was how everything was done. I don't think I would want to use my horse for all of the tractor work but what a nice way to have fun and get things done at the same time.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a wonderful effort from Soli and you to do things the 'old way', the 'green way'. I wish I could see more of her, too. Her tail end is gorgeous!