Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lost and found

I am so pleased!

Mark Rashid helped me find a soft place when bridling Sofia. Well, he mostly helped Sofia find a soft place when either of us bridled her. That is the found part -- Found Part, Part 1.

I didn't totally lose what we gained, but it sure got iffy once I got home. A few steps backward compared to bridling during the clinic. That is the Lost Part. I was able to bridle her but it wasn't getting better. Which is better than getting worse, but not as good as getting better.

Ponder, ponder, ponder.

Much more attention and effort on my part regarding me staying soft and me finding within what I can do today, how to stay connected with Sofia and soft even when she was saying 'no, I don't think so' in response to my presentation.

I got quiet. And from that quiet place came creativity to meet our needs. Of course I cannot bridle a horse like Mark does. Of course I cannot help Sofia the way Mark does. But I can draw on that still place inside from whence come all answers. I stayed still and kept finding answers that helped us get better together with the bridling thing. That is the really important found part -- Found Part, Part 2.

I am so pleased!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Staying soft and patient when my horse is saying no is the hardest part of riding for me but also the most rewarding when I do manage it.

I wonder if you were more relaxed when you had Mark there to help and that's the difference. Or perhaps more confident?

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

Good question -- thanks for writing.

I think you are right, plus being in the presence of Mark and those folks who simply have an expansive, influential presence when we're open to such things -- gave both Sofia and I confidence. I chose to work on other things during my time with Mark, not only on the bridling, or else the bridling might have gotten to the ho-hum stage for good.

I'm glad I have had to struggle to figure out how to stay soft and not even get to a hint of frustration. It's a lesson I will remember. In fact it seems to be infused into the rest of my horse activities.

At the clinic I was benefiting from Mark's success -- the after-effects of his timing and feel. At home, when I did it, it was my success, and that gives me confidence at a different level than simply doing something while being coached.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, achieving these things on one's own is deeply satisfying and does wonders for the self-confidence. And self-confidence seems to go a long way with horses, doesn't it.

I enjoy reading your posts - always something to think about.

Victoria Cummings said...

LJB -It's great to live vicariously through your experiences with Mark - thanks for sharing them with us - I always look forward to learning more from you. I think that what you are writing about here is almost the heart of all difficult interactions that people have with their horses. Remembering that I can be creative to find the answers instead of feeling frustrated and beating myself up over my lack of ability to communicate with Siete is a lesson I keep coming back to over and over.