Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I'm falling for her

That has several meanings.

Today it means this: in order for her to feel better in her skin, I will fall, fall, fall again.

I was walking across the paddock behind the barn this morning and slipped and fell. My sudden change of position triggered a buck and a run from Riza, the 4 yo, and a little shuffling from the two horses closest to her.

This is good to know. I sure want to help her feel better about people falling to the ground before I ever get on her!

So I practiced falling.

She got used to it pretty quickly.

I was padded by my many winter layers (just getting to about 20° at the time, was below 0° again last night) so nothing hurt.

Maybe some day I'll be practicing Aikido falls and rolls again. My body is feeling better enough that I can consider the possibility. I did practice some sword moves the other day -- breaking up kindling with an overhead swing.

I may look like an old lady, but I ain't. Only on the outside.

1 comment:

llm said...

The things we do to help our horses! So the falls I took last winter and the one last week were all for training? I didn't realize it at the time, but it makes me feel better knowing that the pain was well worth it.