Sunday, August 31, 2008

Creativity, clarity, trust

The more I think clearly and creatively,
the more I ride with clarity and creativity.


I said that.

I was conversing with someone about why I spend time writing. Writing brings clarity to my internal world. Writing about horse stuff brings clarity and definition (think: high definition TV) to my horse time. I am creative when I think, seeking to find patterns and associations between ideas and experiences, seeking to find an opening between the thoughts so a ray of light will illuminate something I've been pondering.

When I am clear but not creative, I can be dull. Exact, but dull.

I watched a DVD today called The Path of the Horse by Stormy May. Buy it, borrow it, go watch with a friend who owns it if you are someone who seeks to discover and enjoy the finer, more subtle aspects of relating with horses. I cried watching it. It stimulated some clarity about my work roles, especially regarding where my heart lies when I'm teaching people and teaching horses.

What a joke! Me teaching horses. I am the student.

Yes, I am expected to teach, and do teach, and bring the best of my patience and my support to human students so they can develop their confidence, creative problem solving, presence... I want independent thinking, sometimes much to the horror of parents who perceive impudence where I see assertiveness and individuality. I like to remind parents that when their child is an adult, the very qualities they dislike now will be the ones that bring them success. Think of the outspoken child who questions authority.

How about the horse who questions authority? Can we welcome that, too? Can we trust that a horse who expresses a strong opinion will also be a horse who wants to jump over a fence, stand still for mounting, accept hugs from a grieving owner?

I have many adventures waiting, assuming I can offer a degree of trust and willingness that might one day approach the trust and willingness our horses offer us.

4 comments:

Pam said...

I was hoping someone I knew would watch this DVD and review it! I will have to put it on my wish list. I find the same insights when writing or just thinking about what I want to write.

Victoria Cummings said...

I've been waiting for this DVD to come out, and now that you've given it a thumbs up, I'll get it. I think that what you are asking about a horse who challenges authority is very interesting. Some of my best friends are those kind of outspoken, "prickly pears" so I realize that it's only natural for me to be drawn to horses who have that kind of personality. Silk certainly did when I got her. Trust takes time, but it's always worth the effort.

billie said...

And even further, can we accept that what *we* wanted for a horse is indeed not what that horse wants and thus give up our dream or ideal?

Glad you're posting again.

Anonymous said...

Hi LJB! Arwen just had her foal the other week (!) and we are already learning so much from her! I love being a student as well as a teacher but first you must be the student in order to be able to teach anything!